August 13, 2010

Spice Cookie Sandwiches

with Honey Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting


I had a semi-homemade moment with these cookie sandwiches, and I'm okay with that. I'll admit, I struggle with the idea that they are only partially from scratch, but I think they were every bit delicious and unique. After traveling last week and having lots of commitments this week, I was pressed for time. I decided to use a favorite cookie shortcut: using boxed cake mix. In this case, I used a box of spice cake and altered it as follows to produce cookies instead of cake:

1 box spice cake mix
1/4 cup butter, softened (1/2 stick)
1/3 cup milk
1 egg

Mix it all together, spoon out onto greased cookie sheets, and bake until lightly golden, about 12 minutes. Cool on the sheets for a few minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.


I love the taste and texture of cake-mix cookies. Without fail, they are both soft and chewy. I find the texture completely comforting and addicting. In this case, I made them more addicting by smooshing sweet, nutty honey pecan cream cheese frosting in between two cookies to make a sandwich. 

Our book club was gathering last night for a picnic in an adorable, quaint little park on the East side of Philadelphia, so I thought that these little hand-held sandwiches would be a perfect portable dessert. Sure enough, they traveled well, both to the park and into our smiling mouths.

Cookie Recipe Above

Honey Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese (1/3 less fat, optional) room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup plus 3 T powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 to 1/4 cup honey (start with 1/8 cup, adjust to desired flavor & consistency)
2 t. cinnamon
1/8 cup toasted pecans, processed in a food processor

Beat cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, in large bowl until fluffy. Add honey and pecans beat until smooth. If frosting is very soft, chill until firm enough to spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...