August 13, 2012

Lemon Vanilla Cupcakes with Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting


Sorry I went MIA for a while. I was away on vacation on Martha's Vineyard, where I baked these lemon vanilla cupcakes with raspberry cream cheese frosting. I baked 30 cupcakes - one for each of the 30 family members there at our outdoor fried dough and grilled pizza party. I figured there would be plenty of leftovers since we also had my sister's amazing chocolate chip cookies to devour (more on those cookies later). There was barely a cupcake left by the end of the night.

I loved the dense, moist cake of this cupcake. It was substantial and satisfying to bite into and was truly luscious. The fresh lemon zest really brightened a basic vanilla batter with a summer citrus twist.

It was a addicting enough, then it got worse.

Cream cheese frosting is the best. Sorry to anyone who doesn't agree, but get me in front of a thick, perfectly tangy and sweet cream cheese frosting and I'm a goner.

Since it was a warm summer night, I wanted more than just any cream cheese frosting. I wanted each cupcake to feel like it was topped with summer berries.

 Sweet. Tart. Perfect.


Sorry -- these photos are from my phone. At dusk. It's hard to get worse conditions to do such injustice to such a yummy dessert.

Oh, and I know, the strawberry on the top of each is a little misleading, but when I finished baking and decorating I looked in the fridge to realize that the only fresh fruit I had left for garnish was a pint of strawberries. Doesn't it still look pretty?

At your next gathering consider these cupcakes. They're easy for guests to grab and devour in just a few bites, while still talking, drinking, and enjoying the evening. To me, that's what summer truly means.

Lemon Vanilla Cupcakes: makes 24 (I 1.5x the recipe to make 30)
2 1/2 cups flour 
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 stick (12 tbsp) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 3/4 cup sugar (I used 1 1/2 cup sugar)
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
zest of one large lemon
1 1/4 cup milk

Directions 
Preheat over to 350 degrees. Lightly spray cupcake wrappers with non-stick spray. In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt together. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time so that each is well incorporated. Beat in vanilla and lemon zest. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with milk. Take care not to overbeat. Divide batter evenly into cupcake wrappers (should be about 2/3 the way high). Bake for 16 to 20 minutes and toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes then transfer cupcakes to cool completely. 

Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 block (8oz) cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar, plus more to adjust to taste and consistency
1/4 to 1/2 cup cup raspberry jam
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice

Directions:
Beat butter on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy. Add cream cheese and beat on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute). Sift powdered sugar over creamed mixture and beat on medium low until the sugar is all incorporated. Add jam, and lemon juice to thin as desired, and continue beating. Do not overbeat. Refrigerate to set, then frost cupcakes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    My 10 year old daughter found this recipe and we are trying it now. Is this adapted from another recipe? The cupcake instructions do not include adding the lemon zest and the frosting recipe does not include adding the lemon juice. Not a big deal for me, but maybe for a novice baker.

    Thanks, looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks so much for your comment, and you are right, I forgot to add the lemon zest and juice to the directions! I appreciate you letting me know -- they're added in now. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused you and your daughter, but I hope you made delicious cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete

Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...