September 27, 2010

Creamy Cheddar and Corn Bake

I am in need of soft foods. You see, my chin is out of service, making chewing and generally taking normal sized bites a bit challenging.

How the injury happened isn't exciting, and it certainly isn't glamorous. On Friday night I ended up hanging out in the Emergency Room until the wee morning hours because I tripped. Walking. I told you it wasn't glamorous! It was a perfect storm of flip flops + darkness + uneven bricks on the ground = face planting hard. If I weren't in so much pain right now, and if my face were able to form a smile, I'd laugh at myself because it's almost funny to admit the cause of my unsightly stitches and lopsided attempt at getting around.

Anyway, flip flops are evil. This recipe for cheesy, gooey, creamy baked corn dip is not.


What lay beaneath that wonderful golden layer of cheddar crust is absolutely heavenly. It is thick, savory cheese melted together with sweet, juicy corn, waiting to be spooned onto a hunk of lightly toasted baguette. Right now, for me, the best part is that every bite is soft, warm, and comforting, and just what I need in my imapaired state. I am craving a dish that feels like a huge hug, and that makes me want to smile even though I can't.

It's the perfect appetizer for a crowd, which is exactly how it was shared. The picture isn't that lovely and so it doesn't seem like proof that it's entirely delicious... and that's only because shadows were being cast by everyone hovering around waiting to dig in, which, to me, is the best proof of all. 

Cheesy Corn Bake
Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1 can creamed corn
1 can regular corn, gently toasted in a pan until golden
1/4 cup milk
10 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. salt & pepper each
1 T. dried basil


Directions:
In a 9 by 5 glass baking dish, stir together all of the ingredients, but reserving half of the cheddar cheese. Once it is well incorporated, top the mixture with the rest of the cheddar. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbling and golden. Serve with sliced toasted baguette, crackers, or pita.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so very tasty! I am sorry to hear about your chin--sounds like it is one injury to match your sister's! Hopefully you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elena, for your well wishes! it's uncanny and ironic... Jennifer and I will have exact matching scars... As if being forever connected as sisters weren't enough!

    ReplyDelete

Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...