April 5, 2011

Kickin' Rub of Love

Can I just take a moment to say how utterly pleasurable it is to eat Chobani Mango Greek Yogurt? I wasn't paid to say that, I'm just eating a delectably sweet and creamy cup of it as we speak (or, type) and felt overwhelmed with positive emotion. Thanks for letting me share.

Anyway, this post wasn't supposed to be about Greek yogurt, though we can continue talking about that topic again soon. I'd love to. This post is about another awesomely delicious food item:


The pork chop. Dear readers, you listened as I confided my early hesitancy about the pork chop -- bland, dry, and boring were the worst thoughts I can confess I've had about this meat. So I avoided it. And then, a few years ago I moved in with this man that I'll now be married to in a matter of weeks.

That first day he looked at me across the kitchen counter and asked for pork chops, please, because they are his favorite, I felt a twinge of fear mixed with a dash of incredulous really? pork chops are your favorite? let me introduce you to all of the other meats that are out there! Then I sighed and went to the store.

The rest his history, because I discovered that same day that pork chops can indeed be delicious and versatile. Much to M's happiness they have become a frequent flier on the dinner table. Since tomorrow is M's birthday, I thought I'd honor his favorite meal and share with you a foolproof and awesomely fun way to prepare and eat chops. The chop gets tossed in a generous dose of zesty, brightly flavored rub that is also well suited to steaks, chicken, and other meats. It's a sure recipe for love.

Below, I served it with a side of whole roast sweet potato, which compliments the sweet and smoky flavors of this meat. The sweet potato is now another of M's favorites, but it was his turn to balk when I first introduced him to my favorite orange starch. A little bite of this and a little taste of that, and our likes (and lives) have come together quite nicely... Now, if only all matters of the heart could be solved as simply as the matters of the stomach...


Rub: adapted from Epicurious
3 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
3/4 teaspoon brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne

Combine well in an airtight container where you can store the rest. 

To prepare the chops, place two in a bag and douse generously with rub. Allow to sit for anywhere from 1 hour to 24. Preheat the broiler on high and place the rack 6 inches away. Carefully remove chops with tongs, keeping the rub on, and place on an oiled cooking sheet. Broil about 5-6 minutes per side, watching carefully so as not to burn or overcook. Pork chops should be moist, juicy, and barely pink in the center. Allow to rest a couple minutes, then serve.

1 comment:

  1. I find pork chops to be boring as well. My daughter will only eat them with ketchup and my husband will only eat them breaded. But this seems like a great and different way to prepare them! Can't wait to try!!!

    ReplyDelete

Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...