October 13, 2011

Chewy Pumpkin Peanut-Butter Oatmeal Rounds

Do you remember these?


These fruit and nut energy rounds were awesome. But for some reason I never made them again after that one time. I guess I was off to fry other fish and tackle new adventures in the kitchen. I was fickle in those days.

Last week I was contemplating the issue of my new job... You see, this new job is not a "make oatmeal at your desk and enjoy it while you surf email" job. I've had those jobs before. I remember what that felt/tasted like. It's nice, so if you have one of those jobs, congratulations and please do enjoy it. My new job is more like "walk in door, try to make it to office before crisis arises (avoid eye contact with patients). Crisis averted. Sit down in chair, touch computer mouse. Crisis finds way to office and walks in.  There goes breakfast."

Enter back in these energy rounds. I knew I needed something that can keep me going, something high in protein and nutrients and low in added sugar or fat. It's also Fall, which means pumpkins, and pumpkins are loaded with nutrients and flavor. My brain started crafting a new energy round. I tweaked the original energy round recipe to further reduce the sugar and bump up the nutrients. 


Yes, they are that orange! Isn't it fun and festive? I pop one in a baggie in the morning before I head out the door. A few bites later I'm fueled up and ready to go. Best yet, this little nuggets are really keeping me full. And happy. Two of my favorite flavors (pumpkin and peanut butter) are rolled into the same place. 

So move aside Cliff and Luna..... there's a new, fresher bar (or round) in the office. It's chewy, nutty, and wholesome... I might even  venture far enough to say I think this breakfast is making me a better therapist.  

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Oatmeal Rounds (makes about 12-14 rounds)
Ingredients:
1 cup whole rolled oats
1 cup toasted walnut pieces
1/2 cup salted, roasted peanuts
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter (not natural)
1 cup packed canned pumpkin
1 T flax seeds
1 T. blackstrap or regular molasses
1.5 t. pumpkin pie spice
1 t. cinnamon
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1/4 cup coconut flakes

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet. 
Pour boiling water over the dried fruit and allow them to sit. The fruit will plump up and re-hydrate. 
In the food processor, pulse the oats, walnuts, peanuts, honey, peanut butter, pumpkin, flax seeds, spices, and lemon zest until coarsely chopped. Drain the dried fruit from the water. Add the dried fruit and coconut flakes to the food processor and pulse a few times. Pour the mixture into a bowl and mix well. 

Using wet hands, roll balls of the dough into about 1 to 1.5 inch rounds, then flatten gently with your palm to form a round that is about 1/2 to 3/5 inch thick. Continue until all the dough is used. Bake in the oven until the sides are just golden, about 15-20 minutes. Check often and make sure not to burn the bottoms. Eat one hot out of the oven for fun, then cool the rest and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...