January 20, 2012

When Lunch Is Child's Play


Recently one of my co-workers observed that I eat like a child. I objected. Didn't she know that I eat everything except for mustard and caviar? Did she know about my constantly revolving cravings for Thai, Indian, Mexican, Malaysian, and other ethnic foods? If I eat like a child, I eat like a child who has conquered the kitchen tables of far off lands!

Then I realized that I was fighting what was actually a wonderful truth. Regardless of all else that I eat, I absolutely do take immense pleasure in the simple, delicious joys of childlike food combinations. There is an intense comfort in chicken fingers dipped in ketchup, a big slice of apple pie, or my regular lunches of peanut butter and jelly.

Which brings me to this lunch favorite:


 Peanut Butter Banana Pizzas. Oh, the joy!

The base is always delightfully chewy, fluffy Middle Eastern Flatbread.

Then I make them two ways:
One has a layer of rich, chocolatey Nutella, which is then layered with creamy peanut butter and topped with sliced bananas. 


The second way involves jelly and not chocolate. Peanut butter is spread on first, then the preserves, then slices of banana on top. And a sprinkle of cinnamon for that warm, inviting spice.


Cut it into pizza-shaped slices and lunch has never been more fun, simple, and nostalgic.

I'm not going to write down an ingredient list, or cooking directions. There are none -- it's exactly how I described it here, and the pictures are worth all of those words. Now go make one for yourself and experience the delights of this sweet and savory combination that will keep you both full and happy.... in your stomach, and in your memories.

And next time someone comments that you eat like a child, say, "thank you" and get back to eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...