June 16, 2010

Potato and Vegetable Frittata


This frittata for one is a perfectly yummy and filling way to start the day. Loaded with lightly crispy new potatoes and sweet yellow and red peppers, it is savory and full-flavored but also easy to make. It's a one pan, one plate meal that's got all your essential food groups in it. Plus, it's a breakfast that feels so much more special than a bowl of cereal.

Frittatas always bring me back to breakfasts at my Nonna's house. Almost without fail, I  will walk in through the side door that leads from the garden to the kitchen and straight into the smoky smell of a fresh egg, sausage, and vegetable frittata sizzling in a sea of olive oil. Although my Nonna will have been expecting only me for breakfast, I can still count on her to cook as if she is feeding her family of six.  When we sit down  together at her table she will fill me with stories of her life in Italy as I single-handedly consume a huge, perfectly crisped frittata, strong coffee,  and soft,  sweet, Stella Doro cookies.

In reality, my Nonna lives a few states away and I was dining alone on a far smaller  and lighter frittata. Yet with each bite I was comforted by the same earthy and deep flavors that greet me when we are together. I was quite sad when it was all gone and my plate was clean, but it was so satisfying  that I didn't find myself raiding the pantry afterward per my usual bad habit... now, that's a lot to say for this powerful little breakfast!

Potato and Veggie Frittata for One: 
Ingredients:
1 T. Earth Balance butter or regular butter
3 small to medium sized red bliss or new potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into bite sized pieces
1/4 each yellow and red bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces (I use frozen peppers)
1/4 cup arugula
1 large egg, scrambled together with 1 T. of water
1 T. Italian seasoning
1 T. salt
1 T. freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Boil the potatoes, or microwave in water (covered), until just soft. Drain.

Preheat the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Add the potatoes and turn the heat to medium high. Stir only occasionally, allowing the potatoes to crisp and brown. Add the peppers and stir, let cook another minute. Add the arugula and stir, then shake the ingredients to spread evenly across the pan.

Scramble the egg, water, Italian seasoning, and salt in a small bowl.
Turn the heat down to low and pour the egg mixture over all of the ingredients. Grind fresh black pepper over the top. When the sides of the frittata are firm, turn off the heat and gently run a rubber spatula around the sides to loosen and then underneath. Slide from the pan onto a plate and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...