May 14, 2010

Hot Shredded Wheat


Hot Shredded Wheat -- A surprisingly delicious alternative to morning oatmeal.

I had been eying the box of Kashi Autumn Wheat cereal in my pantry for months. As far as cereal in milk goes, shredded wheat types are not my idea of tons of fun in a bowl. So I tossed some wheats in my cereal bowl, covered with skim milk, a sliced banana, and some cinnamon and microwaved on high for two minutes. The result was a delicious hot breakfast that I gladly substituted for my daily morning oatmeal (and that's saying a lot, since nothing makes me take a break from my banana oatmeal)!

Heating the cereal had brought out the subtle sweetness of the grains, made even sweeter by the hot banana. This was well-balanced by a generous dash of cinnamon, but would have also been great topped with some chopped nuts, or mixed with peanut butter, raisins, or dried cherries.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...