May 23, 2010

Roasted Beets


While perusing the farmer's market this Sunday, I had to stop myself from bringing home all of the produce that was being sold. When I'm faced with a colorful, plentiful array of fruits and vegetables, inhibition goes into the wind and judgment out the window. It end to go a bit wild. I load my bags up with all I can get my hands on, then waddle home with much more than I can cook and far more than M & I can eat within the week.

This time, I exercised some modest restraint, and instead consciously selected a reasonable array of items that I actually planned to prepare and eat. Among these: four sizable bulbs of beets.

Beets are delicious, easy to make, and healthy. Serve these beets warm or at room temperature, with generous hunks of fresh goat cheese, tossed in a salad, or on their own with a drizzle of olive oil.

Roasted Beets:
Ingredients:
4 medium to large beets
2 T olive oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 t cumin
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:
Peel each beet, including the tops and bottoms. Quarter each, or cut into wedges if they are uneven in size. In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, cumin, garlic, salt and freshly ground pepper. Place the beets in a baking dish, then pour the dressing over them, tossing to coat evenly.

Place in a 400 degree oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until tender, turning them half-way through.

The result: perfectly tender and deliciously seasoned beets. Dice them into 1" cubes and serve as suggested above, or as part of your favorite recipe.

Tip: When shopping for beets, try to choose bulbs of similar size to ensure even cooking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...